Cauliflower is considered as a member of the cancer-fighting cruciferous family of vegetables. It has its own nutritional facts. Nutritionists say its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich with a good amount of Vitamin C and some moderate traces of Vit B6, Vit K, magnesium, phosphorus, fiber, phosphorus and so may more to list down.
Leaving the nutritional facts behind, let us try preparing something out of this vegetable to treat our family, relatives and guests and surprise them with a delicious yet healthy starter. Gobi Roast!
- Cauliflower (fulkofi/Gobi) – a whole
- Green Chillies (Sobuj Lonka) – 3- 4 standard/medium sized
- Refined Oil – 2 tbsp (approx. 100ml)
- Salt (noon) – taste wise
- Turmeric – 2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves (Dhaniya Patti) – a handful
*** To convert the cooking measurements of the ingredients, click here.
Pre Cooking Preparation
- Make/Cut small flowerettes (head/flowers) from the whole cauliflower
- Heat almost 500ml of water in a pan. Add a pinch of salt and turmeric to the water. Once it nears boiling, add the cauliflowers and turn off the flame. Cover it with a plate or lid and keep it aside.
- Chop the green chillies into small slices
- Cut the coriander leaves into small pieces, wash and soak them in a bowl of water
- After 20 mins strain the cauliflower flowerettes (head/flowers) from the water. Take a plate and place a tissue paper and put the flowerettes (head/flowers) and leave it dry in a plate.
- Take a pan and let it heat up for a minute or two. Add the oil
- Now add cumin seeds (jeera) and the chopped green chillies and fry in a low flame
- Next add the dried cauliflower flowerettes (head/flowers) to the pan an fry for a 5 – 10 mins
- Add the salt as per taste and the turmeric and again stir fry
- You would need to keep frying in alternate directions for another 15 to 20 mins, till the flowerettes (head/flowers) become a mix and match of roast and fried
- Sprinkle the coriander leaves over the roasted gobi and turn the flame off. Cover it for 5 mins and then serve hot!
In just these few steps your hot delicious mouth watering starter is ready! What are you waiting for… Start munching!
If you feel you are bored of serving Gobi Manchurian to your guests, then this is where you need a tip from. Serve it in a big white ceramic or glass plate and garnish with a few slices of tomatoes and green chilli with a glass of a tango soft drinks!
For a “Peppery and Hot” taste, add few drops of lemon and a pinch of Blacksalt and ground pepper!!!… and hear your lovely cooking compliments!